Red Devil's Food Cake with Vanilla Curd Filling
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4-serving size) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 (10 oz.) jar Dickinson's® Vanilla Curd
- 2 cups vanilla curls*
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch cake pans with no-stick cooking spray. Mix cake ingredients in large bowl using electric mixer at low speed 1 minute. Increase speed to medium 2 minutes. Divide batter between cake pans.
- BAKE 30 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Remove cakes from oven and allow to sit 5 minutes. Invert cakes onto wire rack and cool completely.
- BEAT cream and powdered sugar in large bowl at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold in curd until well mixed. Spoon 2/3 of curd mixture onto center of cake. Smooth to edges. Top with other half of cake. Spoon remaining curd mixture on top of cake and smooth to edges. Top with vanilla curls. Refrigerate until serving.
- *To make vanilla curls, start with a small block of white chocolate. Using a vegetable peeler, pull peeler across the chocolate toward yourself.
Yield: 12 servings